Re: Switching /bin/sh to dash without dash essential

On Fri, Jul 24 2009, Steve Langasek wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 04:33:21AM -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:
>> Steve, let's take a step back and calm down.
>
>> Are you saying that your objection to engineering a solution where
>> dash doesn't need to be essential is that it's not worth the effort?
>> I *think* that was the point of your message but am not entirely sure.
>
> Yes, that's definitely my position.  From what I can see, engineering a
> solution where dash doesn't need to be essential isn't worth *any* effort,
> because IMHO, so far the arguments for being able to remove dash from the
> system appear entirely contrived.

        I think you are not going far enough. Why should I have dash on
 the system when my default shell is posh? or (gasp) zsh?

        I think one of the objections here is that we ought to have a
 more generic approach that allows shells other than dash/bash to be the
 default shell, and that the vendor not make the choice.

        manoj
--
"We learn from history that we learn nothing from history." George
Bernard Shaw