Re: Intend to create an -fPIC library package...

On Wed, 22 Jul 2009, Christian Hammers wrote:
> Am Tue, 21 Jul 2009 22:13:55 +0000 (UTC)
> schrieb Philipp Kern <trash@philkern.de>:
> > Well, actually... I would expect that from a maintainer of a... shared
> > library.  dpkg-gensymbols helps with that, though.
>
> I meant "maintainer" as in Debian maintainer not as in upstream author.
> The upstream programmers are responsible for their soname as they know
> the best when they change relevant code. Or would you really mean we
> should compare the symbol table of every new upstream release with the
> previous one?

Yes. Check "man dpkg-gensymbols" and see how some nice tools can help you
automate part of this task. Furthermore by shipping symbols files with
your library, library users will have dependencies which are somewhat
optimized (depending on the symbols that they really use).

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog