Re: Switching /bin/sh to dash (part two)

Frans Pop wrote:
> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
>> The embedded crowd would want to find a way to get rid of bash, though,
>> and trying to make bash a non-essential package seems like a worthwile
>> effort because of that.  It can even be reasonably automated, since you
>> can rgrep /bin/bash to find out scripts that use it on packages that
>> don't declare a dependency on bash...
>
> I would say that as long as we keep bash as the default shell for users it
> should remain essential.

Why?
"Always installed" is different to "essential", see e.g. libc. I
really think that some essential package would depends on bash
(in this case would be passwd, who provides useadd/chsh/..).

If we remove the essential flag, we have a nice feature:
the packages who needs bash need to be documented (via Depends).

I'm contrary to essential flags on shells, not because we should
remove shells from debian systems, but I really think that explicitly
documenting dependencies is really a good things for us and for
interoperability.

ciao
	cate