Re: Intend to create an -fPIC library package...

Am Tue, 21 Jul 2009 22:13:55 +0000 (UTC)
schrieb Philipp Kern <trash@philkern.de>:

> On 2009-07-21, Christian Hammers <ch@debian.org> wrote:
> > First, thanks for the long answer, Wouter!
> >
> > To wrap it up:
> > * static libraries are a PITA in case of security problems
> > * static libraries are a PITA for other projects as they have no
> > versions
> > * shared libraries with self chosen soname or --release= versions
> > are even PITA as I, as a maintainer, surely won't watch for ABI
> > breakages
>
> Well, actually... I would expect that from a maintainer of a... shared
> library.  dpkg-gensymbols helps with that, though.

I meant "maintainer" as in Debian maintainer not as in upstream author.
The upstream programmers are responsible for their soname as they know
the best when they change relevant code. Or would you really mean we
should compare the symbol table of every new upstream release with the
previous one?

> > * MySQL is a ... :)
>
> We already have a real database server in Debian.  :-P

Oh Postgres will just end up as yet another MySQL table engine!

bye,

-christian-