Re: ping for gtk+extra2 removal - implications for libgtkada2 and gpsim

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 14:30:41 +0200
Ludovic Brenta <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org> wrote:

> > Yes, but that will also mean package using gtk-extra2 will not be
> > able to link to gtk3, which is what Neil was saying IIUC.
>
> OK, not a big deal for as long as GTK+2 remains in Debian.

The main point is that using gtk+extra2 in an application makes it very
difficult to migrate that package to GTK+3.0 so I really don't want new
applications to use gtk+extra2. oldlibs does sound like a good idea -
life around gtk+extra2 is always quiet. I can only hope that moving to
oldlibs is *enough* to dissuade anyone from writing new code against it.

> > Hopefully not as long as with gtk1.2 though, so that's
> > why trying to build your packages with the preprocessor defines is
> > good.
>
> As Neil explained, building gtk+extra with the preprocessor defines
> triggers _lots_ of warnings about usage of deprecated symbols and
> fixing them is a _lot_ of work, so I won't bother.

:-)

If the widgets you need in gtkada are some of the ones causing those
warnings, you're going to have to deal with those.

> - I will adopt the package gtk+extra and maintain it in Debian for as
> long as GTK+2 is in Debian and libgtkada2 needs it.

OK. Thanks for taking it on.

> - I will not update the package to use GTK+3.
> - I will prominently mark the package as deprecated and discourage
> new packages from using it. As part of this I will move the package
> to main/oldlibs.

A note in the description is one way but are there other steps you
would use to implement this discouragement?

> - I will inform GtkAda's upstream about the pending removal of GTK+2
> which will happen in the future, probably after June 2010; this gives
> them one year to reimplement the GtkAda widgets that presently use gtk
> +extra with GTK+3.

I wish them good luck. :-)

Not only would gtkada need to port the gtk+extra2 widgets but *then*
port the rest of gtkada to GTK+3.0. This is the hurdle, because the use
of gtk+extra2 makes it harder than necessary to migrate the rest of a
package to GTK+3.0.

> - When a new upstream version of GtkAda removes the dependency on gtk
> +extra or GTK+2 disappears from Debian, I will ask for removal of the
> package.
>
> OK?

Yes, that's fine by me. Feel free to use / retitle the existing bug
report for removal of gtk+extra2 dependency filed against gtkada.

> PS. I trimmed the CC: list since I think everyone on this thread
> monitors debian-devel by now.

OK. (I'm subscribed to -devel too. Sorry for the extra CC's, I wasn't
sure who was subscribed.)

--

Neil Williams