Re: ping for gtk+extra2 removal - implications for libgtkada2 and gpsim

Selon Emilio Pozuelo Monfort <pochu@ubuntu.com>:
> Ludovic Brenta wrote:
>> So, my understanting was correct then: gtk-extra2 will FTBFS only when
>> you remove GTK+2 from Debian, not when you introduce GTK+3.
>
> Yes, but that will also mean package using gtk-extra2 will not be able to
> link to gtk3, which is what Neil was saying IIUC.

OK, not a big deal for as long as GTK+2 remains in Debian.

>> Joss, can you tell me
>> whether you intend for there to be a transition period when both GTK+2
>> and GTK+3 are in Debian?
>
> Sure there will be.

Great.

> Hopefully not as long as with gtk1.2 though, so that's
> why trying to build your packages with the preprocessor defines is good.

As Neil explained, building gtk+extra with the preprocessor defines triggers
_lots_ of warnings about usage of deprecated symbols and fixing them is a
_lot_ of work, so I won't bother.

>> My intention is neither to take over maintenance of
>> gtk-extra nor to remove functionality from GtkAda; rather to try and give
>> a clear roadmap for upstream to plan the necessary changes, i.e.
>> reimplementing some of GtkAda's widgets with GTK+3 instead of gtk-extra.
>
> GTK+3 will be released around March 2010 or so. When GTK+2 will be removed
> we don't really know, but don't wait till the last moment or it may be too
> late :)

OK, I think that explains it.  Here is what I propose:

- I will adopt the package gtk+extra and maintain it in Debian for as long as
GTK+2 is in Debian and libgtkada2 needs it.
- I will not update the package to use GTK+3.
- I will prominently mark the package as deprecated and discourage new packages
from using it. As part of this I will move the package to main/oldlibs.
- I will inform GtkAda's upstream about the pending removal of GTK+2 which will
happen in the future, probably after June 2010; this gives them one year to
reimplement the GtkAda widgets that presently use gtk+extra with GTK+3.
- When a new upstream version of GtkAda removes the dependency on gtk+extra or
GTK+2 disappears from Debian, I will ask for removal of the package.

OK?

PS. I trimmed the CC: list since I think everyone on this thread monitors
debian-devel by now.

--
Ludovic Brenta.