Re: ping for gtk+extra2 removal - implications for libgtkada2 and gpsim

Ludovic Brenta wrote:
> So, my understanting was correct then: gtk-extra2 will FTBFS only when you
> remove GTK+2 from Debian, not when you introduce GTK+3.

Yes, but that will also mean package using gtk-extra2 will not be able to link
to gtk3, which is what Neil was saying IIUC.

> Joss, can you tell me
> whether you intend for there to be a transition period when both GTK+2 and
> GTK+3 are in Debian?

Sure there will be. Hopefully not as long as with gtk1.2 though, so that's why
trying to build your packages with the preprocessor defines is good.

> My intention is neither to take over maintenance of
> gtk-extra nor to remove functionality from GtkAda; rather to try and give a
> clear roadmap for upstream to plan the necessary changes, i.e. reimplementing
> some of GtkAda's widgets with GTK+3 instead of gtk-extra.

GTK+3 will be released around March 2010 or so. When GTK+2 will be removed we
don't really know, but don't wait till the last moment or it may be too late :)

Emilio