Re: ia32-libs depends on ia32-apt-get ?

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 09:50:01PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> writes:

> > There is work going on recently. Steve Langasek drafted a plan that he
> > wants to bring forward in Ubuntu Karmic Koala and it has been reviewed by
> > Guillem Jover, the dpkg maintainer. Guillem also has plans to make it a
> > reality inside Debian but I don't know of any timeframe.

> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MultiarchSpec

> They messed up some finer details, broke the existing patches,

Patches implementing what?  I don't see any public discussion of an agreed
design for the package manager.

(Nor is there one for the MultiarchSpec, but that's only because Guillem and
I are still hammering out some of the details that we don't yet agree on; so
a public announcement is a little bit premature.)

> made the whole thing need a full release cycle for a transition due to
> DEBIAN/control format changes

You appear to be referring to
<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MultiarchSpec#Extended%20semantics%20of%20per-architecture%20package%20relationships>.
What do you propose as an alternative that would let us achieve multiarch
sooner?  Multiarch has already failed to get traction for more than two
release cycles, and I don't see that your ia32-apt-get kludges are doing
anything to get us there sooner.

Also, what are the immediate practical use cases for cross-arch depends on
extensible interpreters such as python and perl?  Wine doesn't need this,
nor does nspluginwrapper AFAICS, so what actually is negatively impacted by
requiring that class of dependencies to be deferred by a release cycle?

> and have a broken plan for -dev packages.

Handling of -dev packages is defined as *out of scope* for this
specification.  I fail to see how it's broken to confine the initial scope
to those elements that impact the package management tools, to avoid getting
bogged down in irrelevant discussions about filesystem layouts.

> Too bad they did that without involving the people already working on
> multiarch via the alioth project.

A project whose mailing list archive contains nothing but spam since 2006,
and whose primary proponent is also the author of ia32-apt-get?  Yeah, not
really seeing how that would have been a win.