Re: ia32-libs depends on ia32-apt-get ?

Mehdi Dogguy <mehdi.dogguy@pps.jussieu.fr> writes:

> Josselin Mouette wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> as the topic says, I noticed the new ia32-libs package depends on
>> ia32-apt-get.
>>

> I searched the list archive and found only one thread[1] related to
> ia32-apt-get. Correct me if I'm wrong but it was clear for me, when
> reading comments, that the solution was not acceptable and no consensus
> was reached.
>
> So why was it uploaded without further discussions on the list?

Because there where no ideas brought forward to discuss.

There where 3 options:

1) ia32-libs + ia32-libs-gtk (+ ia32-libs-kde + ia32-libs-qt)
   ftp-master asked us to clean that up basically and
   "it would not pass NEW if it where uploaded now"

2) ia32-lib* packages in the same schema as ia32-libs
   vetoed by ftp-master for being way to many packages as ugly as
   ia32-libs

3) ia32-apt-get

So strike option 1 and 2 and what are you left with?

> Shouldn't be uploaded into experimental instead of unstable? â?¦ Do you

The libc6-i386 lib32 transition was easier done by switching to
ia32-apt-get now than to rewrite ia32-libs for it. So that kind of
forced the issue.

> consider it as a â??releasableâ?? solution?

Going to be.

> How would aptitude users do now?

apt-get update; aptitude

> [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2009/03/msg01849.html