Re: ia32-libs transition

Aneurin Price <aneurin.price@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I've just spent over an hour writing and rewriting this mail, and determined
> that I can't think of a single constructive thing to say.
>
> So I'll just ask a couple of questions instead:
>
> Is there any way of preventing this kind of major breakage in the future?
> I don't think many people expect that upgrading one package will FUBAR
> the packaging system.
>
> Is there any chance of Wine becoming functional on amd64 in the forseeable
> future?

# apt-get install ia32-wine
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
  ia32-libwine ia32-libwine-alsa ia32-libwine-cms ia32-libwine-gl
  ia32-libwine-gphoto2 ia32-libwine-ldap ia32-libwine-print ia32-libwine-sane
  ia32-wine-bin ia32-wine-utils
Suggested packages:
  wine-doc binfmt-support ttf-mscorefonts-installer winbind avscan klamav
  clamav
Recommended packages:
  ttf-liberation
  ia32-libwine ia32-libwine-alsa ia32-libwine-cms ia32-libwine-gl
  ia32-libwine-gphoto2 ia32-libwine-ldap ia32-libwine-print ia32-libwine-sane
  ia32-wine ia32-wine-bin ia32-wine-utils
0 upgraded, 11 newly installed, 0 to remove and 187 not upgraded.
Need to get 11.0MB of archives.
After this operation, 51.4MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y

% winemine

Have fun. Works both with sid and experimental wine. Provided you have
a lib32ncurses5 and lib32readline5 with the lib32 transition completed
that is. Bug the respective maintainers for that one.

> Did anyone who isn't on crack get to see 'ia32-apt-get.preinst' and
> 'ia32-apt-get.postinst' before they were perpetrated upon an unsuspecting
> populace? Reading them in the process of trying to unfuck my system made me
> feel more than slightly ill.

Since my package was sponsored I would assume at least one other
person looked over it. You are the first to mention illness. I can't
change what it does. But do you have suggestion to improve how it does
things in preinst/postinst/postrm?

Latest source is on svn.debian.org pkg-ia32-libs:
http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-ia32-libs/trunk/ia32-libs-tools/#_trunk_ia32-libs-tools_

> -Nye

MfG
        Goswin