Re: ia32-libs depends on ia32-apt-get ?

> On Mon, 29 Jun 2009, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>> Too bad they did that without involving the people already working on
>> multiarch via the alioth project.
>>
>> They messed up some finer details, broke the existing patches, made
>> the whole thing need a full release cycle for a transition due to
>> DEBIAN/control format changes and have a broen plan for -dev packages.
>>
>> Guillem Jover is also blocking the inclusion of already existing
>> patches for multiarch.
>
> I'm sorry but I have much more confidence in Guillem's and Steve's
> technical abilities than in yours.

Then maybe you also have some confidence in Tollef Fog Heen, Matt
Taggart, Anthony Towns, Aurelien Jarno. And hey, even Guillem Jover
itself. He did participate in the Informal multiarch meeting during
FOSDEM on 26/02/2006 in Brussels.

See the various links on http://wiki.debian.org/multiarch for the work
on multiarch going back to 2004.

> I can understand your frustration but you never offered a viable and clean
> long-term solution. Sending patches to dpkg to add/enable a Multi-Arch field
> without making use of it and/or explaining the whole plan and rationale
> is far from good.
>
> I would also not merge patches without knowing if the full plan is
> credible.

I wrote or updated patches that implement the design proposed over and
over again since 2004, talked about at debconf, documented in the wiki
and mailinglists. I asked Guillem Jover what he thinks is missing to
represent a viable and clean long-term solution. He is not interested
and I'm tired of posting the same information that has already been
posted.

This is not just my crazy ideas, I'm just fighting bit-rot.

> Cheers,

MfG
        Goswin