Re: deprecating /usr as a standalone filesystem?

[Stefano Zacchiroli]
>   The trick of fiddling the dpkg database on the client machine and
>   then run "dpkg --configure -a" there is indeed nice. But again,
>   requesting our users to do that, potentially messing up with the
>   dpkg database, is IMO not something we can call being properly
>   supported in Debian. If it is supposed to work that way, we have to
>   provide higher level tools that do that for our users.

Also, this procedure would be much more reliable if we said, in Policy,
that maintainer scripts are not allowed to fail if /usr is not writable.
(mount -o ro, SELinux, chattr +i, NFS root_squash, whatever.)

Would you support that policy?  I suspect ldconfig would have to be
patched in some way.
--
Peter Samuelson | org-tld!p12n!peter | http://p12n.org/