Re: Environment variables, debian/rules and dpkg-buildpackage

On Mon, May 11 2009, Raphael Hertzog wrote:

> On Sun, 10 May 2009, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>>         I would prefer Debian to remain a full fledged member of the free
>>  software community, and continue to not let build behaviour diverge
>>  whether or not dpkg-buildpackage was used -- which can be a substancial
>>  resource hog for multiple binary source packages.
>
> resource hog??

        That is indeed what I said.

> If you refer to the fact, that dpkg-buildpackage cleans and rebuilds
> everything and that it can take a lot of time, then please stop using
> arguments that do not hold at all. you can call arbitrary debian/rules
> targets with dpkg-buildpackage (without calling the clean rule
> before-hand) and I pointed that to you multiple times already.
> It's in dpkg 1.15.x (in experimental right now, in sid this week) and
> it's the --target option.

        Nice rant about a facility that is not yet in proper
 distribution (ustable, testing, or stable).

        So, until a date in the future at this point, using
 dpkg-buildpackageis a resource hog, and no, you have not told me
 multiple times.

        manoj
--
"And remember: Evil will always prevail, because Good is dumb."
Spaceballs