Re: Comparing MarkDown and reST (Was: Consistent formating long descriptions as input data)

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:

Well, if you just keep them as transitional period without
highlighting them as "deprecated" in some way, you will end up with
them forever. We all know how slow we are with this kind of
transitions :)

ACK

Given that the current semantics was to exploit pre-formatted text to
output lists, I found absolutely reasonable render 'o' and '.' as
pre-formatted text and only the new kind of lists as "true"
lists. After all you wouldn't be breaking anything: pre-formatted they
were and pre-formatted they will be. If you want to gain something in
term of lists, just switch to the new supported syntax (when we'll
have one).

Well, I'm normally perfectly in line with stronger rules but my strong
rules approach did not seemed to be widely accepted (for other reasons)
and so I tried to implement a sloppy version of the idea.  So if it is
about my *personal* style of doing things I perfectly agree with you.
Because I plan to use your implementation anyway I just relay on your
choice and will ditch my experiment which was basically done to see
what's possible and what not.

To come back to the reST issue: Is there anybody who would volunteer
to implement a better preformatting for reST because this obviosely
does not work optimal with the Markdown syntax?

Kind regards

        Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de