Re: ignoring the CoC in regards to cc:s

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 12:04:05PM +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
> Those MUAs already *do* the right thing when a user presses “reply to
> author” (sometimes just called “reply”): they reply to the author or,
> if the author sets a ‘Reply-To’ field, to the author's chosen reply
> address from that field.
>
> The correct MUA command to use when replying to a list is “reply to
> list”, which follows the information set by the list software in the
> RFC 2369 fields on every message.

Idealism is fine, but pragmatism is more useful.

> Many of the more popular MUAs on your list have this command already,

Can you name any others apart from mutt that come with this by default?

> So I'd modify your point above to say: “Until the following MUAs are
> fixed to have a proper RFC-2369-conformant “reply to list” command”,
> and reducing the list of recalcitrant MUAs accordingly.

Mandating something which relies on the wholesale upgrade of hundreds of MUAs to
get right by default doesn't sound like a good solution to me. I don't care how
many RFCs you wave in my face. :)

> > /me uses Debian's default MUA
> > /me tries hard to avoid CC'ing sender.
>
> It's quite easy: use the “reply to list” command when you want your
> reply to go to the list.

If you have one, and you remember to use it.