Re: ignoring the CoC in regards to cc:s

On Mon, 2009-04-27 at 14:48 +0200, Michal Čihař wrote:
> Hi
>
> Dne Mon, 27 Apr 2009 13:39:15 +0100
> Noah Slater <nslater@tumbolia.org> napsal(a):
>
> >   * The Debian lists are the only lists I have ever come across that mandate, or
> >     even care, about such a thing. I have been on many lists in my time, and my
> >     current list of mailing list subscriptions stands at 73. On every single
> >     other list, this isn't a problem, and things just work.
>
> Definitely not the only one which mandates this.
>
> >   * The Debian lists do not have a Reply-To header, meaning that by default my
> >     email client wants to send replies to individual posters. To get the mailing
> >     list included in the reply means that I have to reply to all. It's a very
> >     easy mistake to make, not to remember to manually shuffle these addresses
> >     around each time I want to send a follow up. Don't make me think!
>
> See http://wiki.mutt.org/?MuttLists, part Lists' "technical". (Most
> email clients do have this feature, Mutt was chosen because of
> User-Agent field in your email.)

This thread will come over again and again until:

1. Debian stops getting new contributors (that haven't configured their
   MUA properly "yet")
2. Debian mailing-list sends appropriate "hints" so MUAs behave in
   conformance with the m-l policy.
3. Debian mailing-lists' policy is changes.
4. The following MUA are fixed to behave "properly" when a user
   press "reply":

grep -hE '^(User-Agent:|X-Mailer)' lists/*  | sed -e 's/^[^:]*:\s*//' \
 | sed -e 's,[ /].*,,' -e 's,(.*,,' | sort | uniq -c | sort -n -k 1 -r
  10206 Mutt
   3046 Evolution
   2684 Gnus
   2208 KMail
   1755 reportbug
   1370 Mozilla-Thunderbird
   1365 Thunderbird
    503 MIME-tools
    376 Mozilla
    343 Claws
    329 Sylpheed
    323 Alpine
    265 Microsoft...
    244 KNode
    234 Madmutt
    195 mutt-ng
    187 SquirrelMail
    186 Apple
    150 slrn
    112 Internet
    104 VM
     94 YahooMailWebService
     81 Heirloom
     68 tin
     65 RoundCube
     65 Icedove
     64 maintainers-needed.pl
     57 IceDove
     55 Mew
     46 YahooMailRC
     43 Wanderlust
     39 nail
     38 Gemini
     37 Forte
     35 The
     35 Pan
     28 WWW-Mail
     28 Loom
     24 PHPMailer
     23 netcat
     23 CAcert.org
     22 Opera
     20 git-send-email
     18 devscripts
     15 Lotus
     14 IlohaMail
     13 Microsoft-Entourage
     11 Web-Based
     11 G2
     11 Debian
     10 Zimbra
      9 TOI
      9 MessagingEngine.com
      8 Sylpheed-Claws
      8 SnapperMail
      8 SEMI
      8 QUALCOMM
      8 mPOP
      7 Sympa
      7 StGIT
      7 PHP
      7 Openwave
      7 Balsa
      6 Pegasus
      6 I.UA
      6 Centrum
and few others

/me uses Debian's default MUA
/me tries hard to avoid CC'ing sender.
/me sometimes fails to remove CC'd people.

Regards,

Franklin