Re: Consistent formating long descriptions as input data (Was: RFC: Better formatting for long descriptions)

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 10:37:00AM +0200, Vincent Danjean wrote:
>   As shown before in the other thread, markdown does not work with
> the current long description : it needs pre-processing to add some
> blank lines before each list.

I've the impression that you didn't read my post, I might be wrong
though. Anyhow, what I said there is that *each single paragraph* can
be considered Markdown (and not the whole long description), using
single-dot lines as paragraph separators. With that convention, you
can use Markdown out of the box (on each paragraph) as long as each
list is on a single paragraph (which sounds like a reasonable
requirement to pose).

Anticipating a potential objection: nested lists do work without
needing "blank" lines to separate nesting levels; I've just tried that
out.

>   If we add some preprocessor, I think we will hit the reason why, for
> example, markdown requires this additional blank line. This means that
> we will not support all what markdown support. It is not a problem but
> it means that markdown specifications can not be used "as it".

Note that the only pre-processor needed seems to be the one which
separate paragraphs using the single dot we already use. Such
pre-processor is most likely already implemented by all tools
processing long descriptions.

Cheers.