Re: Improvements to ‘debian/watch’ for fetching from VCS (was: This topic died off; any resolution?)

Andreas Tille wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Apr 2009, Raphael Geissert wrote:
>
>>> One additional thought: We store packaging Vcs and upstream homepage
>>> in debian/control.  What about storing upstream Vcs there as well and
>>> teach uscan to look there as well.  Just a rough thought.
>>
>> And do what with it? how will it know what it should look for? that's why
>> all that information is in and belongs to the watch files.
>
> Why not teaching uscan reading uscan watch *and* control file.

What's the benefit? what would uscan do with the control file? how will it
know the pattern it should use?

> IMHO
> the upstream VCS might be useful for other tools than uscan as well
> and duplicating information is bad.

Uscan needs extra information to do something useful with a URI which, if
embedded in the control file, would confuse other tools or would require
other tools to massage the URI before using it (in that case, why not
require the other tools to obtain that information from the watch file?).
And as for duplication: sure, but currently the copyright file usually
mentioned where the source code was obtained from (usually upstream's home
page) and the control file usually contains the home page as well; that's
duplication (triplication in case it is the same base address the watch
file uses).

Cheers,
Raphael Geissert