Re: This topic died off; any resolution?

Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 28 2009, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
>
>> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> writes:
>>
>>>         A special rule in debian/rules to duplicate apt-get source for
>>>  people who are skeptical of thea rchive (and have an ill defined
>>>  attack vector thay are being paranoid about) -- or to provide
>>>  functionality that apt-get source is not a duplicate for?
>>
>> Well, for complicated cases (like ffmpeg, where we have to fight with
>> svn:externals, external svn servers etc) it is very helpful to have such
>> a rule. Espc. if some user objects with some of the modifications and
>> needs to apply changes to it in order to get a slightly modified
>> package.
>
>         If you are talking about cases where there is no upstream
>  tarball, and just SVN (or some other VCS), and these cannot be handled
>  by uscan, then I agree, it would be nice to standardize the calling
>  interface.

I planned to add support for svn in version 4 watch files (it would be a
matter of svn info svn://domain.tld/path/to/repo and some data massaging).

But well, now that everyone is talking about it why not just tell what is
missing so that it can be addressed in version 4 watch files?

>         My slight preference is a script with a well known name, since
>  that script can then be extracted and used by DEHS/PTS like systems,
>  without requireing that the whole source be unpoacked and
>  ./debian/rules be runnable (I have sanity checks in my debian/rules)

What you want is #458789, which should be tagged wontfix because of all its
implications (extra needed packages, security risk, etc).

Cheers,
Raphael Geissert