Re: net-tools future

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 01:03:32PM +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Mar 20, Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl> wrote:
> > They have their specific needs, and the last time I checked, udev couldn't
> > fulfill them.  You need just /dev/{null,zero,full,random,urandom,tty,ptmx}
> > and the links to /proc/.  More may be needed, but that depends on the
> You keep missing the point. udev matters in the host system, not in each
> context.

Do you mean the original point of this thread, about ifrename (which indeed
can't be used inside vserver or openvz, can be in xen)?  Or do you mean
other uses of udev?

> You will also not install in the contexts SANE

Probably.

> or alsa-base

Right.

> or kvm

That's pretty useful.  I used to run qemu from a vserver.

> or Gnome.

I have Gnome installed on a sid vserver, used it no farther than a couple of
days ago to test something.

--
1KB		// Microsoft corollary to Hanlon's razor:
		//	Never attribute to stupidity what can be