Re: net-tools future

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 09:57:13AM +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 11:07:29PM +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> > Every relevant Linux distribution requires udev, and so do many
> > important features of Debian systems. Anything not compatible with udev
> > is a toy which wastes space in the archive. Welcome to 2008.
>
> It is still possible to install and run Lenny without the use of udev,
> and many people do so. Whether you agree that this is useful or a 'toy'
> setup is beside the point; fact is that it happens, and if people want
> to work on this so that it remains being supported, why not?

I wouldn't call small systems a 'toy'.

udev is desired, nearly required for big systems, right.  It's bloat and
trouble for embedded or limited ones.  I don't do embedded personally so I
have no idea how udev fares there, but I can tell you that vservers and udev
don't go well together.  Udev expects a real system where there's none and
then gets confused -- vserver is hardly more than a glorified chroot, nearly
identical to BSD jails.  You want every container to be small and simple.

A vserver is a valid Debian system, and certainly not a waste of archive
space.

--
1KB		// Microsoft corollary to Hanlon's razor:
		//	Never attribute to stupidity what can be