Re: Sponsorship requirements and copyright files

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 01:24:01PM +0100, Romain Beauxis <toots@rastageeks.org> wrote:
> Le Friday 20 March 2009 13:07:44 Josselin Mouette, vous avez écrit :
> > > It is not about co-maintaining, but about co-reviewing which is a totally
> > > different task.
> >
> > Do you really think we can find an unlimited amount of volunteers
> > willing to continuously read thousands of files to find the list of
> > copyright holders?
>
> I mean that asking for co-mainenance is a different thing than asking for a
> review of the copyright stuff.
>
> If you ask me for co-maintaining one of your package, I might surely say no
> because I don't want to be involved in the long term, but on the contrary
> reviewing copyright stuff can be a one shot.
>
> Besides, there is no technical requirement to do this, not even to understand
> the build system or what the software is about..
>

> This idea of a public reviewing page for NEWly uploaded packages really looked
> appealing to me.

On the other hand, when you look at projets such as Mozilla or Webkit, there
are people already doing that upstream, or ensuring things are done properly
at commit time. Why should we duplicate that effort, especially considering
how much work it represents for teams that are already undermanned.

Mike