Re: Breaking /emul/ia32-linux for squeeze

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 10:55:36AM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> writes:

> > Le dimanche 15 mars 2009 à 01:30 +0100, Goswin von Brederlow a écrit :
> >> Say you have acrobat reader installed which depend on ia32-libs-gtk.
> >> You also have libgtk2.0 (i386) installed with a newer version that
> >> breaks acrobat reader (like it did last year). Then acrobat reader
> >> will use the newer libgtk and break despide the dependencies all being
> >> correct.

> > How is it any different from acrobat on i386 breaking when you upgrade
> > GTK+ the same way?

> Depends: ia32-libs-gtk (<= 2.6)

Where is the package that does this?

How does this package know, a priori, that the next version of libgtk2.0
will break it?  It's considered a bug if a library breaks its public
interfaces without changing soname; consequently it would also be a bug for
this package to second-guess libgtk.

> Also some libraries do have conffiles or binaries and will get into a
> file conflict with or without the multiarch library path. They need a
> Replaces/Conflicts line anyway. Chief among them libc6 (i386)
> vs. libc6-i386.

That's true, but not a reason to cause file conflicts for all the other
biarch packages out there.