Re: Breaking /emul/ia32-linux for squeeze

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 12:05:42PM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> > - multiarch will supersede all previous biarch implementations
> > - multiarch will be before biarch in the search path

> Is that even true? /lib32 and /usr/lib32 are system library paths
> while the multiarch dirs are custom paths added via
> /etc/ld.so.conf.d/x86_64-linux-gnu.conf. I think they come last.

Multiarch is also intended to be a set of *system* library paths,
*superseding* biarch.  There's no reason one should be encoded in the linker
and the other should be tacked on via /etc/ld.so.conf.d.

> Obviously they haven't been strictly true for some time now. But it was
> always just a verry minor proportion of packages with biarch so having
> to add a conflicts or not was never thought of as a problem.

By you, perhaps.  I certainly considered the upgrade path.

> > Taken together, this guarantees the newer libs would always be found before
> > the older libs, so there's no need to do extra special-casing for those libs
> > that were previously available in biarch form.

> Then any old programm might break. And you know how long 3rd party
> packages stay around.

Huh?