Re: Environment variables, debian/rules and dpkg-buildpackage

> On Fri, 13 Mar 2009, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>>  3. dpkg-buildpackage is probably the wrong place to put this solution
>>     in.
> Why?
>>         The fact that dpkg-buildpackage's setting the variables is not
>>  easily configurable, and  presents to make as though it was set
>>  on the commandline, and thus making it hard for the *USER* to set the
>>  flag variables via env variables, is, in my opinion, a major bug.
> This is wrong. dpkg-buildpackage preserves the value set by the user if
> any. It simply sets default values to all those environment variables if
> they have none.

I think he ment that you can not know wether the setting comes from
dpkg-buildpackage or the user. If it comes from dpkg-buildpackage then
debian/rules should be free to override it as needed. If it comes from
the user then that is another story. At least that is my take on it.