Re: best practice for updating inetd.conf with a user-chosen port?

Eric Cooper <ecc@cmu.edu> writes:

> Regarding the other thread in -devel about the future of inetd: in my
> case I found it very sensible to jettison all the code for opening
> sockets, binding ports, handling IPv6, handling tcp-wrappers,
> daemonizing processes, etc.  and punt it to inetd.  Since apt clients
> keep their connections open for many multiple, the performance hit is
> negligible.

Yeah, I disagree with the idea that inetd is a bad choice for new
programs.  Writing a standalone daemon requires a fair bit of networking
knowledge and work, particularly if you also want to support IPv6, and
inetd can already do all that for you.