Re: best practice for updating inetd.conf with a user-chosen port?

Francesco P. Lovergine wrote:
On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 04:56:20PM +0100, Giacomo A. Catenazzi wrote:
how to had new services in /etc/services database?

Asking netbase maintainer(s)? Just read /etc/services about that.

Hmm. Reading your and dato answers, it seems I wrote wrongly my mail.

The question (still in subject) was how to have admin-chosen
ports for some services. The first proposal was to dynamically change
port in inetd configuration.

I proposed to move the dynamic port in the "/etc/services" level, not
necessary modifying such file, but in a way accessible to getservbyname(3).

But now I'm not sure about:
- if it is a good thing to have admin choosed ports
- if /etc/services level is the right thing to do.

ciao
	cate