Re: xcdroast does no longer work with wodim: Who to blame?

On Sun, 1 Mar 2009, Russ Allbery wrote:

Bill Unruh <unruh@physics.ubc.ca> writes:

The license issue is problematic, especially since copyright laws differ
in different countries. Derivative works is an especially tricky concept
since it is so poorly defined in law, and the courts have been all over
the place on it. It would be really really nice if Debian released
Moglin's opinion that they received re the cdrtools issue and Schilling
released his, and Moglin allowed them to do so.

I believe that the relevant legal opinion was given to Ubuntu, not to
Debian.  I do not believe that Moglin gave a separate legal opinion to
Schilling, in private e-mail or anywhere else.

So Ubuntu shared it with Debian. In that case I see no obstacle to making it
public. It has already been shared and copied to people not the original
recipients. I assume the Debian people actually saw it before making their
decision.

On the license issue, all sides are to a large extent on the same page.
Schilling has released his stuff with an open source license (CDDL is
certainly that), and the requirement of the GPL that both the source
code AND the build system be and remain available to future users is
guarenteed. At that point, the fact that the two sides cannot step over
the final tiny hurdles is a real shame.

You appear to be completely unfamiliar with the licensing issues involved,
or any of the other past history that went into this fork.  All issues
look simple, resolvable, and unfortunate if you ignore 90% of the problem.

Yup. That is the way settlements are reached, by ignoring 90% of the problem,
since 90% is usually the fraction that is actually completely irrelevant to
the dispute-- personal feeling, history,....
I really do not give a damn about the history of this dispute. I am a user,
and I want top class software in my distros.