Re: RFC: DKMS - Dynamic Kernel Module Support

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008, David Paleino wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 19:50:35 +0200, David Paleino wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 19:43:39 +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> > > You’d run into the same issue as module-assistant has: a package being
> > > installed cannot launch installation of other packages.
> >
> > Uhm, right.
> > I believe there could be a margin of improvement here for apt-get:
> >
> > 1) apt-get install linux-image-2.6-blabla
> > 2) ...installation goes...
> > 3) the postinst hook sets an "APT flag" (something like: "please rerun because
> > you still have things to do") with some "action" (i.e. "mark package FOO for
> > installation)
> > 4) apt-get checks if there are any flags set, and if so, acts consequently.
>
> Re-reading my mail: isn't that what dpkg triggers do (i.e. "setting flags" and
> postponing actions...)? Can't apt-get just spawn another instance of itself?

No. Triggers are postponed but that doesn't mean that they are executed
outside of dpkg's lock.

We should rather invent some mechanism to register suggestion of
package to install. It should integrate with the desktop (notifications)
and offer the possibility to always install by default.

It could also be used by discover to suggest firmware-* or *-source when
it detects hardware that need it.

installing
--
Raphaël Hertzog