Re: RFC: DKMS - Dynamic Kernel Module Support

Le jeudi 11 septembre 2008 à 19:23 +0200, David Paleino a écrit :
> > One of the issues I’m wondering about is: how do you ensure you always
> > have the kernel headers for the installed kernels?
>
> Some kind of check inside DKMS? In the end, that's a Bash script, and the
> Debian maintainer (i.e. me, in this case) could just maintain a patch for this
> (or just issue a warning at the kernel post-inst hook looking like "Hey, if you
> do not install linux-headers-foo, you won't be able to use these modules: foo
> bar baz buz").

Yes, and if dkps depends on linux-headers-2.6-$subarch, that will do the
trick at least for the default kernel. (Depending on just
linux-headers-2.6 is not enough, since linux-headers-2.6.xx-y-$subarch
provides it).

> Or, better, DKMS as an "autoinstall" option in its configuration file: we could
> use a kernel postinst hook to check this value, and if it's set to yes (or
> true, or 1, or whatever), auto-download and install kernel-headers. Would this
> be acceptable?

You’d run into the same issue as module-assistant has: a package being
installed cannot launch installation of other packages.

Cheers,
--
 .''`.