Re: RFC: DKMS - Dynamic Kernel Module Support

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 19:43:39 +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:

> Le jeudi 11 septembre 2008 à 19:23 +0200, David Paleino a écrit :
> > > One of the issues I’m wondering about is: how do you ensure you always
> > > have the kernel headers for the installed kernels?
> >
> > Some kind of check inside DKMS? In the end, that's a Bash script, and the
> > Debian maintainer (i.e. me, in this case) could just maintain a patch for
> > this (or just issue a warning at the kernel post-inst hook looking like
> > "Hey, if you do not install linux-headers-foo, you won't be able to use
> > these modules: foo bar baz buz").
>
> Yes, and if dkps depends on linux-headers-2.6-$subarch, that will do the
> trick at least for the default kernel. (Depending on just
> linux-headers-2.6 is not enough, since linux-headers-2.6.xx-y-$subarch
> provides it).

With "-foo" I meant "-x.x-y-$arch" ;)

Sorry for abbreviating!

> > Or, better, DKMS as an "autoinstall" option in its configuration file: we
> > could use a kernel postinst hook to check this value, and if it's set to
> > yes (or true, or 1, or whatever), auto-download and install kernel-headers.
> > Would this be acceptable?
>
> You’d run into the same issue as module-assistant has: a package being
> installed cannot launch installation of other packages.

Uhm, right.
I believe there could be a margin of improvement here for apt-get:

1) apt-get install linux-image-2.6-blabla
2) ...installation goes...
3) the postinst hook sets an "APT flag" (something like: "please rerun because
you still have things to do") with some "action" (i.e. "mark package FOO for
installation)
4) apt-get checks if there are any flags set, and if so, acts consequently.

Would this be an acceptable solution? (but that would imply improving apt-get
itself)

Kindly,
David

--