Re: RFC: DKMS - Dynamic Kernel Module Support

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 19:17:17 +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:

> > > Seems just as easy (or diffiuclt) to implement with module-assistant,
> > > right?
> > >
> > > Is it possible to generate a package at a package post-install hook?
> >
> > The short answer: probably not, but DKMS is not "following this way".
> >
> > The long answer: here's the "problem" -- currently m-a just generates .deb
> > packages, which are handled by apt-get, dpkg and the such.
> > DKMS would instead handle all that by itself -- and to remove a module,
> > you'd need to do something like:
> >
> > # dkms remove -m <module> [-v <version] [...<lots of other options>...]
>
> This is definitely the correct way to build extra modules. This could
> mean:
>       * The end of the nightmare for users who need to rebuild their
>         modules by hand every time the kernel ABI changes.

Correct.

>       * More smoothness for testing migration of non-free modules, which
>         could simply be shipped as source.

Right.

Effectively, "DKMS tarballs" are just source tarballs of modules plus some
scripts for DKMS to use.

> One of the issues I’m wondering about is: how do you ensure you always
> have the kernel headers for the installed kernels?

Some kind of check inside DKMS? In the end, that's a Bash script, and the
Debian maintainer (i.e. me, in this case) could just maintain a patch for this
(or just issue a warning at the kernel post-inst hook looking like "Hey, if you
do not install linux-headers-foo, you won't be able to use these modules: foo
bar baz buz").
Or, better, DKMS as an "autoinstall" option in its configuration file: we could
use a kernel postinst hook to check this value, and if it's set to yes (or
true, or 1, or whatever), auto-download and install kernel-headers. Would this
be acceptable?

Regards,
David

--