Re: RFC: DKMS - Dynamic Kernel Module Support

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 20:13:40 +0200, sean finney wrote:

> hi,

Hello Sean,

> On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 07:50:35PM +0200, David Paleino wrote:
> > > You’d run into the same issue as module-assistant has: a package being
> > > installed cannot launch installation of other packages.
> >
> > Uhm, right.
> > I believe there could be a margin of improvement here for apt-get:
> <snip>
> > 3) the postinst hook sets an "APT flag" (something like: "please rerun
> > because you still have things to do") with some "action" (i.e. "mark
> > package FOO for installation)
> > 4) apt-get checks if there are any flags set, and if so, acts consequently.
> >
> > Would this be an acceptable solution? (but that would imply improving
> > apt-get itself)
>
> no, i don't think it would be acceptable (though of course i'm not an apt
> maintainer).  personally i wouldn't see it as an improvement, only an ugly
> workaround.

Probably I badly exposed my idea: in recent replies I'm thinking to a "dkms
trigger"...

> also keep in mind that there are a number of package managers and
> frontends out there, and regardless, dpkg itself would then no longer
> work in such situations.

Uhm, right. But, with the "trigger" idea, that would be handled by dpkg itself
-- AFAIK that's the lowest program that handles packages.

> as an alternative, i'd suggest:
>
> - building the modules as part of the upgrade process using dpkg triggers or
>   some other clever mechanism to determine when it needs to be done

Ok, this is what I was trying to suggest :)

> - storing the modules in a nested subdirectory of /var/lib, like maybe
>   /var/lib/<dkms-or-ma>/modules/<uname -r>/<foo>.

How would those modules work with the kernel? AFAIK, modules should be put
into /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/.

> - writing an initramfs hook that includes looking for modules from these
>   directories when building the initramfs

Uhm, and if the machine boots without initramfs?

> - making any necessary modifications to module-init-tools so that these
>   directories were included in the search path for modprobe.

Probably this might be a good solution.

> note that this is non-conflicting with rolling the modules into a .deb
> package too, but i think is the only clean way to build/install kernel
> modules if you are already within the package installation process.

I'd like to stick with the triggers idea -- it looks cleaner (and nicer) to me,
but I'm no dpkg expert...

Thanks for your contribution,
David

--