Re: RFC: DKMS - Dynamic Kernel Module Support

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 20:24:53 +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:

> Le jeudi 11 septembre 2008 à 20:02 +0200, David Paleino a écrit :
> > apt-get is able to determine the architecture he's running on, right?
> > Anyways, dkms is a shells script, it could use dpkg-architecture to get the
> > right string to append to the package name. And, with the idea I exposed
> > before, of those "triggers", that should be feasible (i.e. "mark the package
> > linux-headers-$version-`dpkg-architecture | grep blabla` as to be
> > installed").
> >
> > Am I just saying non-sense things? :(
>
> Yes.
>
> You cannot install packages in a triggered script, or in whatever way
> that will be determined from within a package itself.

Is there any particular reason for this?
I've seen aptitude doing something similar (i.e. running multiple times with a
single launch)... am I wrong?

> You need to get *all* the requirements through package dependencies so that
> it can go in a single APT run.

Yes, the run is single, i.e. you just launch "apt-get install
linux-image-2.6.26-1-686" and stop. What I meant is apt-get starting kind of a
sub-process...

Let me clarify the idea: isn't it possible to make a "dkms trigger", that
runs on installation of linux-image-*? It should do the following:

a) checks if autoinstall is set in dkms configuration;
b) if set to yes:
   1) start the install of the corresponding linux-headers-* package (a way to
programmatically determine the package name of this?);
   2) start the compilation of "in-tree" modules; (i.e. modules handled by dkms)
c) if set to no:
   1) print a message suggesting the installation of the above package;
   2) print a message suggesting what to do next

From your reply, I understand that b1) wouldn't be possible to achieve. Why?
Can't triggers start external programs?

Thanks for your help in trying to solve this,
David

--
 . ''`.  Debian maintainer | http://wiki.debian.org/DavidPaleino