Re: Results for General Resolution: Lenny and resolving DFSG violations

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 04:20:28PM +0100, Mike Hommey wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 09:11:01AM -0500, Theodore Tso <tytso@MIT.EDU> wrote:

> > FSF), Dynebolic, Musix GNU+Linux, BLAG, and Trisquel.  So not only is
> > there one such distribution that takes free software of cardinal
> > importance, there are six in the world already.  Does Debian really
> > need to be the seventh such distribution?

> Except that none of these distros existed when Debian set the "100% free"
> goal. Should it drop this goal now there are others such distros ? I don't
> think so. Should it make it less important than in the past ? I don't
> think either.

Debian has always had a more relaxed view on these matters than the free
software purists would like - things like providing contrib and non-free
aren't entirely acceptable to them and are one of the reasons why people
go to these other distributions with their stronger political focus.