Re: Bug reports of DFSG violations are tagged ???lenny-ignore????

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 10:20:43AM -0200, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> I can deal with a two-step install process for my video cards, as long as it
> is properly documented.   But I would serioulsy recommend that we produce
> easy to use non-free installer disks to go along with the Debian installer
> disks, not because of the GPUs, but because of the network cards.  If this
> would slow down the release too much, make these AFTER the release, there is
> no reason why we can't release non-free a bit later.

I recently installed a new server with Etch which uses a bnx2 network
chip.  This requires firmware from non-free.  It wasn't particularly
hard to install the firmware package on another box, copy the resulting
firmware file to a usb stick, and mount it from vt2 and place it in the
firmware directory so that the installer could load the network driver.
A slight bit of work, but not hard.

I do not expect debian to produce an installer with non-free code
included.  After all non-free is not part of debian as far as I
understand things.  Documenting the requries steps would be nice of
course.

--
Len Sorensen