Re: Bug reports of DFSG violations are tagged ‘lenny-ignore’?

On Mon, Oct 20 2008, Thomas Viehmann wrote:

> I queried Robert on IRC and told him that he does not have a realistic
> scenario of fixing the bug and that he would need to come up with a
> working NMUable patch to in order to even have a viable proposition to
> move things forward.[1]
>
> What are the release and ftp team supposed to do here? Sure, I can
> type in "dak rm linux-2.6" and see what happens except the www.d.o
> pseudopackage receiving a bug about removing me from the
> FTP-Assistants list. Disposing of the luggage that is each
> supplementaryGid line in LDAP would enable me to move on to happier
> projects more easily.[2]

        Seems like there are patches stripping the kernel of these
 non-free blobs. So, how much would out hardware support be degraded?
 How many people are affected by these non-free drivers?

> As Robert himself says, these bugs have been known for four years.
> They are RC, if you did not prepare an NMU should ask yourself why you
> did not and stop pretending that it is the release or ftp team's
> responsibility to fix the RC bugs that you are not fixing.
> The options from a FTP or release point of view are exactly keep
> stuff, drop stuff, replace stuff by better stuff. That better stuff
> needs to be available, though, and you are as much to blame for that
> as everyone else.

        So, drop non-free stuff, iff the GR fails.

        I'll be willing to help create kernel packages for a fully free
 kernel and upload it, if that is what the ftp-masters want.  Been a
 while since I released official kernel images, but perhaps there is
 chance for a second time. After all, Lance Armstrong might be riding in
 the Tour de France 2009.

        manoj
--
May all your PUSHes be POPped.