Re: Bug reports of DFSG violations are tagged ‘lenny-ignore’?

On Tue, Oct 21 2008, Bastian Blank wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 01:32:51PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>>         Seems like there are patches stripping the kernel of these
>>  non-free blobs. So, how much would out hardware support be degraded?
>>  How many people are affected by these non-free drivers?
>
> The drm modules: Anything which includes an ATI or Matrox card and runs
> X. The network modules: Not that much, it is mostly old hardware. We
> already removed the bnx2x driver for the new Broadcom 10GE interfaces,
> which in fact is a really new one.

        Thanks for the response. The DRM modules are need for 3D
 acceleration, right? So the box can be installed, and is usable for
 non-gaming purposes. The drm stuff can possibly be gotten from non
 free, like we do nvidia accelerated drivers today?

        If that is the case, the drm drivers should not be an obstacle.

        manoj
 who has not yet switched to the free drivers for nvidia cards yet
--
Information is the inverse of entropy.