Re: FHS and /var/www

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008, Joey Hess wrote:
> I think that there's room for Debian to establish distro-wide policies
> for the *default* directories in /srv, as a suppliment to the FHS.

 I don't see the need for taking the risk of FHS non-compliance.

 Why not use a new package for such policies?

 e.g. a new "services" or "debian-services" package would allow storing
 services below "/var/lib/services/<service domain name>" or
 "/var/lib/services/<service type>/<name>".  We could make this location
 configurable in the "services" package and allow admins to host new
 services below /srv if they like.  The "services" package would provide
 hook to install / remove services which would abstract away the real
 location where the admin wants the files to appear and packages would
 symlink their packaged data into this location.

Loïc Minier