Re: Good communication with upstream is good idea

Matthew Johnson <mjj29@debian.org> writes:

> On Wed Jul 23 16:13, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
>> Matthew Johnson <mjj29@debian.org> writes:
>>
>> > Given that Ubuntu takes things directly from Debian, and hence all
>> > Debian Developers have a vested interest in Ubuntu packages, would it
>> > make sense to (provide|ask ubuntu to provide) a way for bug reports to
>> > be manipulated by users with keys in the Debian keyring?
>>
>> This would effectivly mean activating the respective LP account [1] and
>> associating the respective gpg key with that account. This would be of
>> course doable, but given from this and previous discussions, I do not
>> have the impression that this is generally desired by all debian
>> developers.
>
> How about activating it the first time they send a gpg-signed mail to
> the mail interface?

My point is that I don't have the impression that Debian Developers want
to have an LP account activated at all, so IMO it doesn't really matter
if the account is activated implicitly via some (authenticated) action
or exlicitly by clicking on the 'claim this account' link.

And frankly, I don't think that the account activation is really the
problem here. Interested developers can easily read up the documentation
how to use the email interface and activate their LP account. Doing this
for all DD developers is guaranteed to annoy developers who refuse to be
remotly associated with launchpad or ubuntu. By requiring to activate
accounts explicitly we avoid this in the first place.

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4