Re: Adding lzma to dpkg's Pre-Depends

On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 08:05:06AM +0300, Guillem Jover wrote:
> As per policy 3.5 I'm bringing this up here. I'd like to add lzma to
> dpkg's Pre-Depends, so that we can use lzma compressed packages after
> lenny w/o having to add an lzma Pre-Depends on each .deb package
> compressed that way.

Hrm. Alternatively, the packages _do_ pre-depend on lzma though; and
you're aiming to avoid that by making lzma Essential:yes -- in the same
way packages that pre-depend on perl or bash don't need an explicit
dependency.

libz and libbz2 are both included statically; would it make more sense to
do the same thing with the lzma (ie, copy the binary into /usr/lib/dpkg),
instead of making lzma essential?

Cheers,
aj