Re: Adding lzma to dpkg's Pre-Depends

Am Mittwoch 02 April 2008 schrieb Mike Bird:
> On Wed April 2 2008 01:52:39 Steve Langasek wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 10:24:43AM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> > > The results are a bit misleading, because they compare the absolute
> > > gain.
> >
> > It's the absolute size savings that counts - that's what's going to have
> > the biggest impact on mirror size, mirroring time, CD set size, and
> > download times for users.
>
> Lucas made a good point.  Better to save 20% on ten 10MB packages than
> saving 10% on one 100MB package.
>
> Although we can probably have both, modulo decompression RAM issues.

Well, oo.org probably needs the same amount of RAM to actually run, so it's
not an issue, there. That not the case for the libgl1-mesa-dri but probably
for programs that use OpenGL . So the consideration should always include
what effect this actually has for the users of that package.
No question that for Oo.org this is pure gain.

HS