Re: A suggestion

2008/3/27, Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org>:
On mer, 2008-03-26 at 08:35 -0700, Mike Bird wrote:
> Lenny is still only at linux kernel 2.6.22, which means little support
> for hardware up to a year old!  Sid is not suitable for most people,
> and most people lack the skills or inclination to install and maintain
> a mix of Lenny and Sid.

Testing is not suitable for desktop use. It lags in bug and security
fixes. It has often incompatible versions of pieces of software meant to
work together. As you noticed, it has an outdated kernel.

I have used testing for four years in my desktop without reinstall. Testing may be suitable for desktop.
It has, only a few times, litle bugs, but a desktop is not a critical system.
I remember an ubuntu update that remove the xorg configuration, so most of its users had to reinstall (they dont know how to fix it).
Testing es perfectly a valid option for desktop.

Except during freeze periods, you shouldn't use testing on your desktop.

The freeze periods are the periods when the bugs are in the system more time, cause updates are less frequently.

If you want a bleeding edge desktop, you have sid.

Sid has much more problems and fixes than testing.

--
  .''`.
: :' :      We are debian.org. Lower your prices, surrender your code.