BitTorrent and ISP interference (was: What CDs and DVDs should we produce for lenny?)

Gunnar Wolf <gwolf@gwolf.org> writes:

> cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis) dijo [Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 09:28:03AM +0100]:
> > er, you do realise torrent is used for way more then that right?
>
> I do know, and I do think the idea is a darn good one. Several ISPs,
> however, only see you are sharing via P2P - and might charge you
> extra or disconnect you.

That is a problem that won't be solved by avoiding use of BitTorrent;
on the contrary, reducing legitimate use of BitTorrent can only result
in supporting those who would paint BitTorrent as a tool without
significant legitimate use.

Rather, we should put pressure on those ISPs that would discriminate
againt BitTorrent traffic. This pressure will be aided by an
*increase* in legitimate use of BitTorrent. Actual, ongoing legitimate
use will have far more weight as a demonstration of the value of
BitTorrent than theoretical discussion in the absence of significant
legitimate use.

--
 \     "First they came for the verbs, and I said nothing, for verbing |
  `\    weirds language. Then, they arrival for the nouns and I speech |