Re: What CDs and DVDs should we produce for lenny?

cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis) dijo [Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 09:28:03AM +0100]:
> > BTW... 30 CDs are too many CDs. Just too fucking many. We could also
> > cut down on them - i.e. produce only the first 8 CDs per arch, and
> > have the rest only as DVDs. Yes, many people still do not have DVD
> > drives handy, but then again, 8 CDs + network access + a bit of
> > patience for the most obscure bits of software should be enough for
> > anybody...
>
> that assumes network access, which might be a reasonable assumption in the
> West, but that's not true everywhere (e.g. rural parts of India, Cuba, or
> most of Africa). In which case ordering a CD-set is way more practical
> (these also tend to be the places where they have older second hand pc's
> without a DVD-drive)

Agree - But for every architecture? How many mipsel machines are there
in rural India where no nearby computer has a DVD drive? :)

> > Ugh. Do you really want ISPs all over the world to start associating
> > Debian with evil communist pirate P2P filesharers?
>
> er, you do realise torrent is used for way more then that right?
> (for example there's now a scandinavian telivision station that's starting
> to distribute shows through bittorrent, we also already have debtorrent)

I do know, and I do think the idea is a darn good one. Several ISPs,
however, only see you are sharing via P2P - and might charge you extra
or disconnect you.

Greetings,

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23