Re: Mass bug filing: non-UTF8 debian/{control.changelog}

Mike Hommey <mh@glandium.org> writes:
> On Sun, Mar 02, 2008 at 07:10:20PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> Yeah, that's pathological enough that I don't see any easy fix for it
>> in lintian without special-casing the perl package or not doing
>> encoding checks on misnamed changelog files.  The latter is arguable,
>> but the perl package is the only package in Debian with this problem.

> Shouldn't the perl package have a symlink to the changelog ?

perl-base installs some of /usr/share/doc/perl, including
changelog.Debian.gz, and creates a symlink from /usr/share/doc/perl-base
to /usr/share/doc/perl.  perl then installs some of the rest of the
contents of /usr/share/doc/perl, but uses the copyright file and
changelog.Debian.gz from perl-base.

It's not how I would have done it, but I believe it complies with Policy.
I would have just created /usr/share/doc/perl-base and duplicated the
Debian changelog and the copyright file there, on the grounds that the
small savings in disk space isn't worth the complexity, but it's hard to
make a compelling argument other than aesthetics.