Re: Mass bug filing: non-UTF8 debian/{control.changelog}

Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl> writes:

> The package "perl" doesn't ship its own copy of changelog.Debian, but
> instead relies on it's dependency, perl-base.  Yet, it does ship other
> stuff in /usr/share/doc/perl/, including the upstream changelog.

Oh, so lintian gets confused and thinks that the upstream changelog is the
Debian changelog since it's the only file that it can find in that
directory that's named like a changelog file, and therefore issues both:

E: perl binary: debian-changelog-file-missing-or-wrong-name
E: perl binary: debian-changelog-file-uses-obsolete-national-encoding at line 331

because what it's actually analyzing in the latter is
/usr/share/doc/perl/changelog.gz.

Yeah, that's pathological enough that I don't see any easy fix for it in
lintian without special-casing the perl package or not doing encoding
checks on misnamed changelog files.  The latter is arguable, but the perl
package is the only package in Debian with this problem.

Thank you for the explanation!