Re: Practical solutions to: the new style "mass tirage" of bugs

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 11:19:14PM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 11:31:32PM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
>
> > Excellent points made by both of you.
>
> > Here are some things that occur to me quickly:
>
> > 1) Large projects using $DVCS and making it easy for people that aren't
> > familiar with $DVCS to learn how to participate in that project.  Here I
> > assume $DVCS to be one of hg, git, darcs, bzr.  The "maintainer of record"
> > in control could be a Linus-like patch reviewer.  The instructions are
> > something akin to what I post at
> > http://software.complete.org/site/wiki/DarcsGuide and
> > http://software.complete.org/site/wiki/MercurialGuide
>
> Are we still talking about OOo here?
>
> OOo is its own barrier to entry.  You're not going to get a very
> "distributed" set of contributors when just building the package from source
> requires setting aside multiple GB of disk and several hours of CPU time.  I
> believe that, as much as anything, is why there are so few people working on
> the Debian package; it's just not practical to be a casual contributor to a
> monolithic package like OOo.

Indeed, this is something I can appreciate, since I simply wasn't able to
work on X for years because I didn't have the machine resources to build a
full tree. What I think we need to do is figure out how to get non-casual
contributors interested.

 - David Nusinow