Re: Practical solutions to: the new style "mass tirage" of bugs

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 11:31:32PM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:

> Excellent points made by both of you.

> Here are some things that occur to me quickly:

> 1) Large projects using $DVCS and making it easy for people that aren't
> familiar with $DVCS to learn how to participate in that project.  Here I
> assume $DVCS to be one of hg, git, darcs, bzr.  The "maintainer of record"
> in control could be a Linus-like patch reviewer.  The instructions are
> something akin to what I post at
> http://software.complete.org/site/wiki/DarcsGuide and
> http://software.complete.org/site/wiki/MercurialGuide

Are we still talking about OOo here?

OOo is its own barrier to entry.  You're not going to get a very
"distributed" set of contributors when just building the package from source
requires setting aside multiple GB of disk and several hours of CPU time.  I
believe that, as much as anything, is why there are so few people working on
the Debian package; it's just not practical to be a casual contributor to a
monolithic package like OOo.