Re: the new style "mass tirage" of bugs

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008, Don Armstrong wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Feb 2008, David Nusinow wrote:
> > We could deal with this problem if we were better at training and
> > recruiting people to work on such things. We've been lucky in the
> > XSF lately in getting enough hands to get the work done, but I don't
> > think there's any clear forumla from our experience that could guide
> > other teams to do the same. I'd love to find one though. If we could
> > do a better job of steering people towards these important packages
> > rather than their vanity package of the hour, I think everyone would
> > benefit.
>
> I think it's going to be in our long term interest to identify some
> more of these packages that could use help and figure out what changes
> (if any) need to be made to the BTS, documentation for those packages,
> and anything else to help new people get into triaging these bugs.

My contribution of the day to this problem has been to add a link
in the PTS page pointing to a graphic of the evolution of number of
bugs (in the top right with bug stats). See for example:
http://packages.qa.debian.org/d/dpkg.html
http://people.debian.org/~glandium/bts/d/dpkg.png

http://people.debian.org/~glandium/bts/o/openoffice.org.png
http://people.debian.org/~glandium/bts/l/linux-2.6.png

People who do bug triaging like to see the graph go down. Hopefully seeing
the chart in the first place will make it clear to potential contributors
that there's a place for their work. :-)

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog